Vice President Leni Robredo told the press that she sees no reason as to why the bloodbath that was the Mamasapano clash that happened last year needs to be looked into again.
“Ako kasi wala akong nakikitang dahilan para buksan ulit,” Robredo said.
“Unang-una marami na tayong panahon na ginugol sa pag-iimbestiga, so ang tanong ko ano ang dahilan para buksan ulit iyong imbestigasyon?”
This was following the Senate’s decision last week to re-open the probe into the clash between Philippine forces and the Muslim rebels in Maguindanao. This particular move was spearheaded by Senator Juan Ponce Enrile.
Alternatively named as “Oplan Exodus,” the said ill-fated operated was supposed to neutralize a terrorist that is wanted by the Philippines and the US. However, it wasn’t only him who died. 60 people, 44 of whom are part of the Philippine National Police (PNP) troop, also died.
The hearing is fittingly scheduled exactly one year after the clash, January 25, 2016.
Robredo also said that she fears the investigation being used as a tool to get public attention since the election period has already started. However, she said, if there will be a good enough reason to open the case, then why not.
There are speculations floating around as to the political motivations for this particular move. The probe will be headed by Senator Grace Poe, the Senate committee chairperson and presidential candidate. Meanwhile, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano has already been vocal about his plans to exclude himself from the probe.
When asked if senators who are running in the 2016 elections should inhibit, Robredo said that she would have wanted to.
“Para hindi nagagamit sa politika ang trabaho. Pero ang pag-i-inhibit kasi is a personal decision. Para sa akin sana ngayon na election time, kandidato kami, mas maging maingat na hindi naming nagagamit iyong aming trabaho. Kasi parating suspicious iyong aming ginagawa, kung ginagawa ba naming ito dahil sa gusto naming mapalawig an gaming popularity, “ she explained. [source]