Iglesia Ni Cristo or the INC has finally made it official! The sect’s 1.7 million estimated voters will be supporting the candidacy of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte and Bongbong Marcos for president and vice-president positions.
For senatorial candidates, the influential religious group throws its support behind the following:
- former TESDA chief Joel Villanueva,
- former senator Dick Gordon,
- Senate President Franklin Drilon,
- former Akbayan Rep. Risa Hontiveros,
- former MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino,
- Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez,
- Sen. Ralph Recto,
- Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao,
- Sen. Vicente Sotto,
- Valenzuela Rep. Win Gatchalian,
- former Senator Panfilo Lacson and
- former Senator Migz Zubiri
Iglesia Ni Cristo, with its membership of close to two million, is known to practice bloc voting during elections.
Eagle News is owned by the Iglesia Ni Cristo-run Eagle Broadcasting Corp.
In a statement, Pete Laviña, head of Duterte’s media group, said the endorsement by the Iglesia Ni Cristo “is a big boost to our campaign particularly to thwart attempts by the administration to cheat the elections.”
“This endorsement shows that Duterte’s advocacy for Tunay Na Pagbabago has resonated to almost all our people and all our church formations affected by the rising crimes and drugs, continuing corruption and government neglect, poverty and sufferings of our people,” Laviña said.